Application deadline: June 24th, 2013
To apply: Send your resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com
Are you passionate about increasing citizen participation in Canadian democracy? Open North is looking for a proactive individual to market and sell Citizen Budget to municipal governments and other democratically-elected bodies. Citizen Budget is an online interactive budget simulator used by municipalities to consult their citizens on budget priorities and to educate them about the difficult trade-offs elected officials face in the budget-making process.
Open North is a Canadian not-for-profit social enterprise specializing in the development of online tools that promote civic engagement, transparency and accountability. Open North works with governments, media and civil society to connect citizens and decision-makers and to provide citizens with the information and tools they need to track and influence the decision-making processes of government.
Citizen Budget has proven its value to a first cohort of municipalities. As Marketing & Development Lead, you will drive the growth of this product, for it to become a sustainable revenue source for the nonprofit.
The ideal candidate has a passion for making democracy better through the use of technology and enjoys working independently and in a small flexible team.
- Actively market and sell (acquisition, negotiation) the product to municipalities for which a list of qualified leads has been built
- Research and develop additional markets in which a democratically-elected body makes budget decisions, including school boards, labor unions and student unions.
- Prepare marketing materials in cooperation with graphic designers.
- Experience in marketing and sales, preferably in the tech sector.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple deadlines.
- Ability to delegate and manage tasks assigned to contractors, e.g. designers.
- Ability to work independently.
- Great attention to detail.
- Creative, outgoing and friendly.
- Fluent in English and French.
- Experience in marketing and sales to government.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector.
Contract details: Full-time contract with a gross yearly salary of $32,000 to $38,000 depending on experience, with commission on sales.
Location: Open North is based in Montreal, Canada and will accept applications for telecommuting.
Application deadline: June 24th, 2013
To apply: If you are interested in this unique opportunity to engage with government leaders, major civil society organizations and international partners on the future of government transparency and civic engagement, please send your resume, cover letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Open North
Open North is part of the growing civic technology sector in North America. Within its first two years, Open North has established itself as a Canadian leader in open government and open data and is looking to increase its impact across Canada.
Its consultation tool, Citizen Budget, is used by municipalities across Canada and the United States. It operates a web service, Represent, to lookup the contact information of elected officials at all levels of government in Canada; nonprofits like the David Suzuki Foundation use it to allow its supporters to send targeted messages directly to decision makers, while media like The Tyee used it to inform readers about candidates in the recent BC election. Its work on open data specifications have been adopted by leading organizations like mySociety and the Sunlight Foundation. Its staff and board of directors are regularly invited to speak on open government and are influential in the progress of open government in Canada.
Open North’s activities further its social mission to increase government transparency and to educate and empower citizens to exercise their political influence and participate actively in decision-making processes.
For more information about Open North, visit www.opennorth.ca.